What is an Order of Court Supervision?

An Order of Supervision is a disposition which is available for offenders who are not likely to commit further traffic offenses and/or crimes and the offender is in a situation in which it is in the best interest of the defendant and the public that the defendant not receive a record of a conviction.  The obvious benefit to the offender is that there is no conviction entered.

To obtain Court Supervision on a petty traffic citation you must do the following:

(1) If your ticket is marked by the Officer “no court appearance required” do not appear on that court date as you are not scheduled for court on that date. You must contact the Christian County Circuit Clerk’s Office to obtain a court date to appear before the Judge to request Court Supervision. This date will be a different date than what is listed on the bottom of the citation.

(2) You will appear before the Judge on your scheduled court date and plead guilty to the charge and you will be placed on a 90 day Court Supervision. Fines and costs must be paid in full on the court date. If the defendant is under 18 years of age, the defendant must appear with a parent or legal guardian.

(3) When Court Supervision is given by the Court, the offender will have a set time period during which strict adherence with the law is monitored and expected. If the Court Supervision Order requirements are not completed or any violation of the law, this could result in the Court revoking the Supervision and entering a conviction on the guilty plea entered previously.

(4) If under 21 years of age and you want to request Court Supervision, when you appear in Court to be placed on Court Supervision, the Judge will also order you to complete a Traffic Safety School that is required by Illinois law. You will be instructed to have the Traffic Safety School completed within the first 60 days of the Court Supervision. You will receive documents from Court concerning how Traffic Safety School can be completed.

Please be advised that if you have received Court Supervision within the past 12 months – the State’s Attorney’s Office will not agree to Supervision. You may obtain a court date and still appear before the Court.

Fines and Costs

Fine and Costs totals for Court Supervision are as follows: (Subject to change at any time)
Speeding: 1-20 mph above the limit: $437
Speeding: 21-25 mph above the limit: $457
Any other petty traffic offense: $502

CDL Drivers

The supervision information does NOT apply to CDL drivers whether you were driving a commercial vehicle at the time you were cited or not. You can apply for Court Supervision, however, any public entity can see you received Court Supervision. The benefit of Court Supervision for a CDL driver is points are not placed on your driving record. You may contact the Traffic Division for further information.

Mandatory Insurance Violation

If you received a mandatory insurance citation and you have proof that you were covered by a liability insurance policy on the date and time of your citation, you must appear on your court date and bring proof that you were insured by your insurance company. After the proof is verified, the ticket will be dismissed.

The State’s Attorney’s Office accepts proof of insurance the first Tuesday of every month-after the proof is verified, the ticket will be dismissed.
If you did not have insurance at the time of the citation, you must appear on your court date and the Court will advise you of your possible disposition.

How to Reinstate a License or Get a Work Driving Permit

The State’s Attorney’s Office does not issue, revoke or suspend driver’s license. All issues pertaining to the suspension or revocation of an Illinois driver’s license must be handled through the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office.

How Can I Get a Copy of a Police Report or Other Case Information?

The State’s Attorney’s Office does not provide the general public with information concerning cases, current or closed. To obtain copies of
police reports, you must contact the arresting agency.

What Should I Do If I Cannot Make My Court Date?

If you are not represented by an attorney and if you cannot be in Court when you are supposed to be, you must file a Motion to Continue in the Circuit Clerk’s Office with a copy provided to the State’s Attorney’s Office. The Motion to Continue must clearly state the reason you are unable to appear and must have supporting documents attached, if available. The State’s Attorney will not file this form for you. The Judge will decide whether or not the continuance should be granted.

What If I Cannot Make a Court Ordered Payment?

If you cannot make a payment on or before the date ordered by the Court, you must appear before the Judge at the time and date listed on the Order
and request additional time. Neither the State’s Attorney’s Office nor the Circuit Clerk’s Office can override a Court Order. If the payment is not made or excused by the Court, a warrant may issue for your arrest.

Juvenile Cases

Under Illinois Law, the State’s Attorney’s Office is prohibited to discuss any juvenile case or disclose the date of any Juvenile Court Hearing.

Legal Advice

Under Illinois Statute, the State’s Attorney is prohibited from engaging in the private practice of law, therefore the State’s Attorney and his staff cannot give legal advice, including any child support issues.

Deceptive Practice

If you are a victim of a bad check, please click on the following link: http://checkprogram.com/staticwebsites/christiancountyil/contact.htm


If you are interested in clearing your Illinois Criminal Record/Expungement, please click on the following link: https://www.illinois.gov/osad/Pages/default.aspx